Being a competent and effective 1st AD is critical to the smooth running of any drama production. This full day Step up to AD course will look at the role and responsibilities of the 1st AD from breaking down a script and turning it into a schedule to working on set, working effectively with cast and crew and recognising the impact of schedule decisions across the entire production. You will look at Movie Magic Scheduling, real life scripts, scenarios, camera plans and shot lists and understand the main scheduling drivers. The course looks at the responsibilities with regards to health and safety and balancing budgetary requirements with creative aspirations. The course will also look at the leadership role of the 1st AD and the relationships and culture throughout the cast and crew.
What does the course include:
- Defining the role and responsibilities of the 1st AD from prep into production
- Understanding industry agreements and legislation
- Health & Safety - in planning and on set
- Running a set: relationships, shots, set ups, understanding camera plans
- Leadership and communication
- Breaking down a drama script
- Understanding key elements and schedule drivers
- Introduction to Movie Magic scheduling software
Who is this course for?
Course aimed for 2nd, 3rd ADs also other roles such as PC wanting to understand and move across - and other roles such as location managers. Also new 1st ADs needing further training.
Tutor Addie Orfila:
Addie has extensive production experience spanning over 25 years for ITV, All3Media and BBC, amongst others. Addie has worked her way up as 3rd AD, 1st AD, PM and Head of Production. She has worked on all four of the big UK serial dramas and was HoP at Hollyoaks and Production Manager at Coronation Street for very successful tenures.
Addie has a large wealth of experience to draw from having worked on shows such as Heartbeat, Touch of Frost, My Parents are Aliens, Emmerdale, Barking and Jinx. She is a mentor for Women in Film and Television and delivers training across the industry nationally and internationally.
Cost for the day course:
Members: £195 plus £39 VAT = £234
Non-members: £235 plus £47 VAT = £282
How to Book
- Login to PGGB profile below (if applicable)
- Select relevant course date below
- Please note that your place is not confirmed until we receive payment