US high-end TV series shooting in the UK
How do we manage and deliver successfully to US studios?
As the demand for UK production accountants and production managers with experience of US TV drama shows increases, The Production Guild and the British Film Commission hosted a training day to look at the practicalities of running a US High End TV show in the UK.
In early 2017, US Production Accountant Peter Tolle flew in from the US to lead this training (Nashville; Weeds; Nurse Jackie; Entourage; Six Feet Under).
The course was aimed at financial controllers, production accountants, line producers and production managers who: have experience in US studio feature films or TV dramas whom would like to increase their knowledge; have experience in UK high end feature film and TV drama who would like to work on US shows: or would like to refresh their knowledge.
Up to twelve participants were able to attend each day.
The day included:
- US studio management and expectations
- Relationship to the project and studio
- Budgets (amort, pattern, episodic, day costs)
- Calendars (seasons, split days, cross boarding)
- Episodic coding (networks and studio preferences)
- Cost reporting (including daily hot costs)
- Identifying trends
- Working with example calendars, budgets and cost report
Production Guild members who attend the training day had the ability to show it on their profile page, and a searchable function.