Thu 27th Oct 2016
Step up in the locations department
The Production Guild’s Assistant Location Manager Training Scheme gives you the skills and experience necessary to take your career to the next level.
You will work closely with experienced film and TV location managers throughout the course and will share their experience and knowledge through practical on set learning, online learning, classroom learning and through one to one mentor support.
To be eligible to apply you must have professional experience of working in a film, TV or a commercials production environment, preferably in a locations department, or within a department which involves working on locations.
This course will cover:
- location scouting
- location photography
- location management
- location planning
- location budgeting
- location and the law
- getting work in locations
- working safely on location
- communicating on location
Tutors and mentors include:
- Harriet Lawrence - Course leader, Location Manager, Suffragette, Burton and Taylor, Fleming, Parks and Recreation, Downton Abbey and Dancing on the Edge.
- Emma Pill, Location Manager, Cinderella, Thor: The Dark World, Dark Shadows, Captain America: The First Avenger, Alice in Wonderland.
- James Grant, Location Manager, The Counselor, Skyfall, I, Anna 2011, Jack the Giant Slayer, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen.
- Bill Darby, Location Manager, Cyber, Heart of the Sea, Maleficent, Snow White and the Huntsman, 47 Ronin.
- Martin Joy, Location Manager, Skyfall, Red 2, Wrath of the Titans, War Horse.
- Camilla Stephenson, Location Manager, Theory of Everything, The World’s End, Les Miserables, Byzantium, Austenland, The Iron Lady.
- Alex Gladstone, Location Manager, Ex Machina, Far from the Madding Crowd, Winter, 47 Ronin, Philomena, Trance.
- Antonia Grant, Location Manager, The Interceptor (TV series), Esio Trot, The 7.39 2013, Call the Midwife (series 1 & 2), Hunted, The Hour.
- Jonah Coombes, Location Manager, A Little Chaos, Paddington Bear, Saving Mr Banks, The Two Faces of January, Rush.
- Michael Harm, Location Manager, The Gunman, The Invisible Woman, World War Z, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.
NB: In order to work in a locations department, you will be expected to drive and have access to transport.
Assistant Location Managers Training was developed and delivered by Film London and funded by Creative Skillset from 2006-2009. The Production Guild would like to thank Film London for their support in developing this new programme.
This course is supported by Creative Skillset’s Film Skills Fund, which is funded by the National Lottery via the BFI, and through the Skills Investment Fund (SIF).